Window falls prevention
Window falls can cause serious injuries or death, but they are completely preventable. Our partnership with Boston Building Resources makes window guards affordable for Boston residents.
Falls are the leading cause of injury to children age five and under. A fall can happen within seconds. Window falls can be fatal or cause serious injuries, but they are completely preventable. Our partnership with Boston Building Resources makes window guards affordable for Boston residents. Window guards help families protect their children from serious and fatal risk of window falls.
1010 Massachusetts Ave
BOSTON, MA 02118
Window Guards Program
Call Boston Building Resources at 617-442-2262 to buy window guards. Window guards are available at a discounted rate for Boston residents, landlords, and developers. Window guards are also available to residents outside the city of Boston but without a City discount.
Window guard installation
Boston Housing Authority (BHA) residents can call the BHA Work Order Center at 617-988-4357 to request window guards.
- Removable window guards have an emergency-release mechanism
- We recommend window guards for the 2nd story and above, and for the 1st floor if the window is over 12 feet above the ground below
- We recommend family, grandparents, or caregivers of children 10 years and younger have window guards
- Install guards in children's and parents' bedrooms, as well as other rooms where children spend the most time
General safety tips
- A child can fall out of a window with as little as 2 inches of clearance
- Do not substitute window guards for screens. Screens are meant to keep bugs out, not children in
- Keep beds, furniture, and anything a child can climb on away from windows
- Lock all unopened doors and windows
- Open windows from the top instead of the bottom
- Fixed (permanent) guards or window stops can restrict window openings to less than four inches. One window in each room should be free of these devices to allow for emergency escape
- Child safety window guards are not the same as burglar/security bars
- Be sure children are always supervised
- Window guards can withstand up to 150lbs of pressure
- Click here to open the Window Safety Tips sheet