Official websites use

A website belongs to an official government organization in the City of Boston.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock or https:// means you've safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Last updated:

Office of Housing Stability

We help residents find and maintain stable, safe, and affordable housing.

NOTE: The Office of Housing Stability is located at 2 Center Plaza.

Our goal is to put residents on the path to housing stability. We help tenants in housing crisis due to fire, natural disaster, eviction, or condemnation. Fill out our contact form or call 617-635-4200 to contact us. We also have information on emergency resources for tenants.

Eviction Help

Eviction Help

The Office of Housing Stability's Housing Crisis Case Coordinators can help you deal with the eviction process. They may also be able to help you get legal, financial, or other help. Call 617-635-4200 or fill out our contact form.

Talk to your landlord. Try working with them to create a repayment plan for unpaid rent and resolve any issues related to your lease.

Keep copies of important documents like your lease agreement, rent receipts, security deposit receipts, and any written communications with your landlord.

The eviction process begins when a landlord serves you a legal document called a Notice to Quit (Eviction Notice). For more detailed information on how to legally respond to an eviction notice, and the possible court proceedings, visit our eviction process overview page.


Get Legal Help

Each week, the Office of Housing Stability hosts a virtual legal clinic for small landlords and tenants.

The Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) will be joining the OHS Legal Clinic the first Tuesday of every month. VLP will provide an attorney at the legal clinic with the specific goal of helping small landlords navigate the eviction process. If you are interested in learning more about VLP, please contact their office at 617-423-0648.

El Proyecto de abogados voluntarios (VLP, por sus siglas en inglés) se unirá a la Clínica Jurídica de Salud y Seguridad Laboral el primer martes de cada mes. El VLP proporcionará un abogado en la Clínica Jurídica con el objetivo específico de ayudar a los pequeños propietarios a sortear el proceso de desalojo. Si le interesa obtener más información sobre el VLP, por favor, comuníquese con su oficina llamando al 617-423-0648.

Upcoming events


Internship opportunities

The Office of Housing Stability (OHS) is constantly looking for new ways to partner with undergraduate and graduate students.

OHS is looking for students who share an interest in:

  • housing affordability
  • housing justice, and
  • eviction prevention.

Interns with OHS will have the opportunity to learn from staff who are knowledgeable about housing resources for tenants and landlords. They'll work with Boston residents who are at risk of housing instability.

Interns may also have the opportunity to support the:

  • research
  • development, and
  • implementation of new programs and policies that the office is exploring.

Fill out our expression of interest form to apply

Back to top