The Inspectional Services Department administers and enforces building, housing, health, sanitation, and safety regulations mandated by City and State governments.
We are made up of five regulatory divisions. Our goal is to protect and improve the quality of life for all Boston residents. Our mission is to serve the public by protecting the health, safety, and environmental stability of Boston's business and residential communities. Learn about our work.
Take Advantage OF our online portal
The online option saves you time — you can apply online and even print out your permit when it has been approved by us. Right now, you can apply for some of our permits online, but the list will continue to grow over time.
1010 Massachusetts Avenue
5th FloorBoston, MA 02118
Office hoursMonday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Requesting a copy of records? Check our Public Records Center.
2022 Construction Work Not be Permitted For Some Holidays
We created a number of guides to help you through the permitting process.
We also have information on less common permits.
You need a short-form permit for minor changes to a building.
This permit is for new construction, or to make updates to a building.
You need the certificate to get a permit to do work on a building.
The program offers more housing options while creating rental income.
View permits approved for after-hours work.
Permits include building, electrical, plumbing, and gas.
The Board is responsible for issuing Boston Builders Licenses.
How to apply for a short-form permit: Watch a step-by-step video tutorial
Zoning Board of Appeal
The Zoning Board regulates the rules behind what you can build and where you can build in Boston.
Learn more about our work
BOS:311 service requestsService requests
Forms and documentsDocuments
- Application to Install Fire Protection System (Sprinkler)
- Application for Use and Occupancy
- Board of Appeal: Appeal under Boston Zoning Code (BD09)
- C/O Requirements Checklist
- Construction License Exemption for Home Owners
- Change of Licensed Builder
- Demolition checklist
- Facade Application
- Flammable Garage Application
- Massachusetts State Building Code-780 CMR
- Off-Hour Permit Application
- Off-Hour Inspection Request
- Permit Extension Act common questions
- Street Numbering Form
- Suggested Affidavit for Home Improvement Contractor Permit Application
- What is a Certified Plot Plan?
- Affidavit of Licensed Contractor Violation History
- Mattocks-Higgins Affidavit of Workplace Safety
- Building Division Fees
- Workers Compensation Insurance Affidavit
- Definition and Requirements of an Affidavit Project in the City of Boston (2023-01)
- Amended Facade Ordinance (2022)
- Retail Residential Permitting (2021)
- Investigative and Enforcement Team (2020)
- Procedure for Off-Hour Inspection (2020)
- Commissioner's bulletin Construction Site Return to Work Protocol and Requirements (2020)
- Commissioner's bulletins, 2003-present
- Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District (designated in 200).
- Back Bay Architectural District (Established in 1966 and expanded in 1974, 1979, and 1981)
- Bay State Road/Back Bay West Architectural Conservation District (designated in 1979)
- Bay Village Historic District (designated in 1983)
- Beacon Hill Architectural District (established in 1955, and expanded in 1958 and 1963)
- Fort Point Channel Landmark District (designated in 2009)
- Mission Hill Triangle Architectural Conservation District (designated in 1985)
- South End Landmark District (designated in 1983)
- St. Botolph Architectural Conservation District (designated in 1981)
Are you a contractor and subcontractor performing home improvement work on an existing one- to four-unit residential property in Massachusetts? You must register for the Home Improvement Contractor Registration as the following:
- an Individual
- a limited liability company (LLC)
- a limited liability partnership (LLP), and
- a corporation.
- Home Improvement Contractors (HIC) Guide
- First-time registrations
- Renew your HIC Registration (online account only)
- Change your registered address
- Request a duplicate or supplemental (additional) card
- Renew your HIC registration (by mail or in-person)
- Change your Doing Business As (DBA)
- Register as a Foreign Corporation
- Bed Bug Protocols
- Carbon Monoxide Law
- HIPPA Authorization
- Introduction to Integrated Pest Management
- Safe Cleaning for People with Asthma
- State Sanitary Code
- Rental Registration Form 2016
- Bed Bug Booklet, Haitian Creole
- Bed Bug Booklet, Russian
- Bed Bug Booklet, Simplified Chinese
- Bed Bug Booklet, Traditional Chinese
- Bed Bug Booklet, Spanish
- Bed Bug Booklet, French
- Bed Bug Booklet, Cape Verdean Creole
- Bed Bug Booklet, Vietnamese
- Bed Bug Booklet, English
- Bed Bug Booklet, Somalian
Лицензия для автомобильных компаний
Licencia para talleres de automóviles
Giấy Phép Cửa Hàng Dịch Vụ Ô Tô
Liste de contrôle du permis d'atelier automobile
Lis Verifikasyon pou Pèmi pou Atelye Mekanik
Контрольный перечень для получения разрешений для
Lista di Verifikason di Permison pa Ofisina
Lista de verificación para el Permiso de taller de automóviles
Danh Sách Kiểm Tra Giấy Phép Cửa Hàng Dịch Vụ Ô Tô
Liiska Oggolaanshaha Dukaanka Baabuurta
News and announcementsLatest news
New Members or Zoning Board of Appeal Confirmed
New Members Appointed to the Zoning Board of Appeal