Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District
The Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District Commission (AACDC) meets on the second Thursday of each month to review exterior alterations. Interested in becoming a commissioner? Please see details about nomination in the district's Study Report and check the commission information section at the bottom of this page. If you see an "apply online" button, we have an opening on the commission and you're able to apply for it.
DESIGN REVIEW PROCESS
All proposed exterior work visible from a public way is subject to the review of the AACDC.
- To save time and costs, review the district Standards and Criteria early in the planning process.
- Review all instructions and documentation requirements before submitting your application to ensure it is complete. Incomplete applications will not be added to a public hearing agenda.
- Submit your application online well in advance of a filing deadline in case additional or revised information is needed.
- Staff won't be able to review applications for completeness immediately upon submittal.
- Do not begin any work, or buy materials, until after confirmation that your project was approved by the Commission.
The Aberdeen section of Brighton (annexed by Boston in 1873) was developed after 1887, with a high degree of architectural unity. The trolley line along Beacon Street helped Aberdeen develop as a “Romantic Suburb” of free-standing residential buildings. The large, ornate houses built along winding roads that follow the land’s natural contours, were intended for Boston commuters on the newly electrified trolley system. Aberdeen’s architectural styles include the Colonial Revival, Georgian Revival, Queen Anne, and Shingle styles.
For further historical background, please check out the Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District Study Report.
- 20 City Hall Avenue
Floor 3Boston, MA 02108
All of our applications for the Landmarks Commission and Historic Districts are now online! Utilize our online portal to:
- Apply for Design Review
- Apply for Article 85 (Demolition Delay)
- Review Past Demolition Delay Applications
- Report a Violation
- Submit a Public Comment
- Translated Applications.
Get updates about events and hearings.
2022 meeting minutes
2021 meeting minutes
AACDC 2022 recordings
AACDC 2021 recordings
- January 2021
- February 2021
- March 2021
- April 2021
- May 2021
- June 2021
- July 2021
- August 2021
- September 2021
- October 2021
- November 2021
- December 2021
Department:Energy, Environment and Open Space